[Rhodes22-list] Tired of IMF

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Wed Jul 7 17:42:32 EDT 2010

I make no claims as to expertise, but I have had only infrequent problems
with the IMF, and they are usually traceable to need for lubrication or
operator error.  I furl two handed with the aft end of the boom over the
starboard gunwale.  The mainsheet is slack at this point.  I pull the black
furling line with my right hand and maintain a slight tension with my left
on the blue outhaul line (also ensuring that the outhaul line stays out of
the cam cleat).  If the boom is level with the mast, the sail usually furls
without bunching.

I keep my boat on a mooring, so even if it bunches, I wait until I am
moored, adjust the boom and repeat until I am satisfied.  I had my topping
lift marked for the perfect position to furl, but the mark wore off over the
winter.  I am still finding my way back to the proper adjustment for the
topping lift.

I lubricate when required with WD-40.  This can be done on the lower bearing
even when the mast is up.  Jam a bunch of paper towels in the mast slot
beneath the bushing to absorb the excess and use the straw to hit the wear
points.

Good luck

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer