[Rhodes22-list] Towing your Rhodes

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri Jul 30 20:33:48 EDT 2010

Bill,
Obviously I'm not David, but perhaps I can help you. On the driver side
door jam of your vehicle is a sticker that will tell you what you need to
know.  The two numbers that you should be concerned with are the GVW (gross
vehicle  weight), GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and the towing capacity.
GVW is  the weight of your vehicle with passengers and a full tank of gas.
GVWR is total  weight of passengers, gas and the vehicle being towed.  If your
vehicle is  equipped to tow at least 4,000 pounds you should do just fine.
Towing capacity is affected by many things: transmission and  transmission
cooler, bigger radiator, rear end gear ration, tires (size and  weight
rating) and your brakes. All are important features that are normally  upgraded
if the vehicle has a towing package from the manufacturer. In some  cases,
you may be able to upgrade your vehicles weak points if it doesn't have  the
towing package.
A receiver hitch is also preferred. A bumper hitch won't get the job done.
My first tow vehicle was a 98 Dodge 1500 ( two wheel drive) with automatic
and  V-6 with the factory tow package. I never found it overwhelmed by the
weight of  the R22 on the trailer.

Rummy

In a message dated 7/30/2010 7:44:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,