[Rhodes22-list] All tied up

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Wed Jun 9 14:02:00 EDT 2010

I enter my slip the same as Lee, very slow approach and then back in.  My
slip is fixed, not floating, and has four pilings one at each corner and two
piling midway.  Enclosed is a picture to illustrate the six lines that I
use, two lines at the bow on each starboard and port cleat to each outer
piling, two stern lines at the stern starboard and port cleat to eac of the
aft pilings and two spring lines from the stern cleats to the two pilings
located mid point of the slip.  The two spring lines prevent my stern and
motor from sliding back into the dock.  I prefer 1/2" lines but 3/8" are
easier to get on the cleat especially with two lines per cleat.

After positioning all of my lines, that are permanently attached to the slip
pillings, I wrap each with a piece of duct tape to record the position at
the cleat so I remember exactly how to secure the lines to keep the boat
balanced between all six pillings.  I keep a space between the fixed dock
and the boat.

I have been experimenting with a free spring line to assist entering the
slip while single handed sailing.  I have a long line about 50' and put the
two ends together, then walk the mid point up to the bow and slip it thru
the bow pulpit then bring the mid point back to the cockpit were I also have
the two end points of the line.  When backing into the slip I put the mid
point over the outermost pier on the windward side, fix one end in the
cockpit and start pulling the other end.  This keeps the bow of the boat to
windward, preventing the downwind side of the bow from hitting the other
piling and also pulls the boat back into the slip.  All of this can be done
single handed from the cockpit.  The only problem is if the spring line gets
caught up on the piling.  The same technique can be used in reverse when
leaving the slip and is especially helfpul if a strong wind is blowing.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p28833878/IMG_0517r.jpg IMG_0517r.jpg