[Rhodes22-list] Quarters and Air Crew

BenCittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 16:18:56 EDT 2010

Rummy,

My active duty was 1970-1972 but the closest I got to the Western Pacific
was the Panama Canal. Mostly we kept the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese from
over-running Charleston Naval Base in South Carolina. My hat is off to you
and those who served in the war zone. I will say my 170' ocean-going
minesweeper (designed by Phil Rhodes) was a sweet ride. Four 500hp 12-cyl
Packard diesels for main propulsion would send us flying through the water
at a breath-taking 18kts wide open. I did take a 52degree roll one time in a
storm that makes the sailboat heeling seem tame. I really thought we were
going over. Talk about a scene from "the Caine Mutiny".

Funny how I couldn't wait to get out, but now looking back it was a great
time.

BenCittadino