[Rhodes22-list] gas tank in laz

Charles Nieman blue66corvette at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 15:27:21 EST 2010

All you "old timers" may be aware of the discussion in times past, and I hope we have provided the desired entertainment for the day, and I appreciate the education of what some think is a better place to store the tank.

but I must agree with Rummy (as dangerous as that may seem). Where is the source for the spark?

I dry sail my boat, day sail only, have no battery, no electrical devices and leave the gas tank in the laz when I am not sailing, rather than take it home or leave it in plan view under the seat to be stolen. When I do go out, I open the laz to squeeze the fuel priming bulb, thus allowing any built up fumes to escape (and I have never smelled these fumes, so I suspect Rummy has a point about the ventilation). During long periods of not sailing (the cold of late Nov through early Feb, or heat early July through late August) I usually store in my garage. I fully believe in safety and am going to take all of this into deep thought; but please tell where is the spark coming from, where is the fume build up and why is this dangerous?