[Rhodes22-list] R22 vrs 26RK

Stephen Staum staum at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 11 17:22:56 EDT 2010

Peter,

I second Mary's comments about cockpit comfort. The cockpit is where
you really "live" on a sailboat & the Rhodes is unbeatable. The dining
table mount in the cockpit is another nice touch. My wife & I sit at
our mooring @ sunset w a full spread of hor'dourves & cocktails. Our
guests are always delighted! Also, the pop top & canvas cover give you
the standing headroom you desire (albeit small & cozy).  We sleep
either on the double in the salon or on our king size cockpit bed
under the stars, weather depending.

I have become a real advocate of "kiss". Keep it simple... Sail more -
fix less.
I nixed the 12v water pump for a foot pump (15 gal lasts all season @
1 oz/pump), have the original rope & pulley assisted engine lift,
added a 5 HP Briggs & Stratton outboard (air cooled & pull cord
starter), added solar battery charger this year & use hand held VHF &
GPS. I feel I have all the comforts of a bigger boat without the costs
& maintenance.

It sounds like you have a lot of single handed sailing in your future.
The Rhodes is very hard to beat when solo. The furling sails &
convenient jib & main sheet locations add up to an easy & relaxing
experience.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Stephen Staum
87 R22, Carol Lee