[Rhodes22-list] Solar panel inquiry

Charles Nieman blue66corvette at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 16 22:15:49 EDT 2012

Where were you when I was fighting electrical engineering in college. This is the GREATEST explanation I have ever heard (and I have heard bunches). With this knowledge I could have been an electrical engineer instead of an architect ......... naw ....... Architect is better ......... HUGE AND MANY THANKS

Charles

On Jul 16, 2012, at 8:30 PM, jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net wrote:

> [...]
> electrons being produced by the solor panel it can not refill your
> battery. What would fill your bath tub first, a squirt gun with 100 PSI
> (volts) and one pint/min. or a garden hose with 30 PSI max. but 5
> gallon/min.? You can test a battery for voltage and get a reading,
> however, it is "dead". Note the rating on batteries amp hours. You will
> need to test for both voltage and amperage. Connect your solor panel to
> any load (one wire to each end of a resistor) You measure the voltage
> by putting a volt meter at each end of the resistor this is parallel.
> Parellel means the electrons has a choice of going thru the resistor or
> volt meter. Now to measure the amperage you must take one wire off the
> load (resistor)  and put an ampmeter between the wire from the solor
> panel and the load (resistor). This called in series and the electrons
> have no choice, it must go thru the ampmeter and load to complete the
> circuit. Even if there is voltage present the battery might not be
> getting any electrons. Normally a power source will be rated watts.
> This is the volts times the amps. Even if you have 12 volts but no amps
> this means NO power. 12 volts times zero amps equals zero power. Good
> Luck
>
> Quoting PBR <pbryanriley at gmail.com>:
>> Charles,
>> There are some previous posts about batteries, panels, and charge
>> controllers.  A charged battery should be able to run your instrument
>> panel only for days easily especially with solar panel(s).  So
>> something is amiss.  Check your water levels.  Do you have a charge
>> controller?  If not, that may have contributed to earlier battery
>> degradation.  Four years is not bad, but with your light use I would
>> expect them to last longer.  To test you solar panels you can check
>> open circuit voltage with a voltmeter.  Disconnect the panels or
>> disconnect you battery with everything else off.  In good sun your
>> panels voltage shout produce an open circuit voltage significantly
>> higher than battery voltage, say 15-20 volts.
>> -PBR
>>

>> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Charles Nieman
>> <blue66corvette at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> So I left the instrument panel on when I left the boat a few days
>> ago and came
>> back to dead battery!! The penalty for being stupid.
>>>
>>> Hooked up a trickle charger to the battery and am now recharged.
>>>
>>> The question is, what is the best way to verify if my solar panels
>> are still
>> operational (I think they are original equipment and few things last
>> forever)?
>>>
>>> And how much charge would one expect to get from fully operational solar
>> chargers?
>>>
>>> The batteries are dated 2008, how many years could one expect these
>> to last?
>> (boat does not have electric motor hoist or electric start on outboard;
>> batteries only power lights, AM/ FM radio, and compass/depth

>>> DayDream