[Rhodes22-list] Glorious Cruise or Ship of Fools ?

Robert Baldi rob.o.baldi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:19:57 EDT 2012

Dear Richard and Bob

Congratulations on your purchase. Your planned cruise has great potential
but I would not sail off shore on this trip unless you have some experience
with offshore sailing. If you have a sudden storm or begin to get nervous
off shore because of the large swells you will not be able to  sail to a
safe harbor or anchorage quickly. In fact coming in at Barnegat light can
be very scary - on reasonable days surf builds up that will frighten even
an experienced helmsman. I recommend you sail up Barnegat Bay and let us
know when you will be coming. There are a number of us that will welcome
you on the bay side of Long Beach Island. If you sail on the Ocean side -
call as you go by so we can shout and wave from shore  - but don't get
close enough to hear us or you might get blown ashore. You will not be able
to bring your boat into the beach along the New Jersey shore and you have
to stay away from the surf. Holgate inlet (south of LBI) is frequently
easier to enter than Barnegat. Going out Barnegat is easier than coming in.
Your goal of entering on a slack tide is important.

rob
--
Robert O. Baldi