[Rhodes22-list] Electrical systems

Wickman, William E WEWickman at spectraenergy.com
Mon Aug 26 09:03:04 EDT 2013

If you have an electric start then most likely it will also have an alternator/generator to charge batteries while running.  If you have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries then you will have way more juice than you could possibly use in an overnight trip; especially if you do any motoring.  I have done over 10 days on two batteries with no shore power plug-in and never even came close to running them down.  The solar panels, and more significantly the motoring you will do in any given trip, will most likely top off any battery you used while sailing or at anchor.

To see how much battery capacity you have just add up the amp-hours of the two batteries (it should be printed on the batteries).  To estimate how much battery "juice" you may need, you simply look at amp rating for each appliance (lights, fans, etc.) and figure how many hours you will be using them.  For example, a cabin light (incandescent) will burn around 1-2 amps so if you leave one on for one hour it would equal 1-2 amp-hours.  An anchor light is about 1 amp so leaving it on overnight for 10 hours would be 10 amp-hours.  Add it all up and you will see that you will have more than enough capacity, unless you are using current hungry appliances such as refrigerators, etc.

Bill W.
s/v Fina Lee