[Rhodes22-list] Beaching the Rhodes

James Cross jgcross007 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:10:28 EST 2013

Hi, folks:

Fairly new R22 owner here... "Elan" (1984 R22) came from PA but is now up
at summer home in Prince Edward Island.  Bought her in July.

It reading some of the old General Boat literature I'm sure I saw something
from Stan that talks about beaching the boat...

I agree the slope of the ground is very important.

I launch my boat off a concrete ramp but put the mast up with the bow of
the boat on a sandbar near the entrance to the harbour to give her some
stability...no problems of any kind...but in my case the bottom slopes away
fairly rapidly from the point of contact at the bow, so not much streed on
the keel/CB... as always, just be gentle putting her on the beach.    :>)

(By the way I raise the mast using the boom as a gin pole and the mainsheet
as the hoist [works great] - no need for the mast hoisting kit - but that
is an entirely different story...)

Kind regards,

James Cross
Élan