[Rhodes22-list] beaching....question about mast raising

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jan 8 22:40:16 EST 2013

Do you have the standard or IMF mast?

Mike
s/v <-no name -> ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Ellyn and Sam Moore
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:46 PM
To: The Rhodes 22 Email List
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] beaching....question about mast raising

Oops, the first sentence should say that I use the boom as the gin pole.
On Jan 8, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Ellyn and Sam Moore wrote:

> I , too, use the mast as a gin pole in my system. The mast is raised from
the bow. The boom is mounted in its usual place on the mast. The mast is
horizontal, pivoting on its bolt at the step, the boom is at right angle to
it,i.e., vertical. The main halyard is one side of the triangle, running
from the masthead to the aft, or clew end of the boom. The mainsheet pulls
from there to a bridle at the transom. I rig lines from this same point
(clew end of boom), to a 6 inch piece of chain attached to each outer
chainplate, producing a pivot point in common with the mast bolt. I use the
aft inner stays temporarily attached to the same chains to keep the mast
from falling to either side . The  mast has always been under control, with
the mechanical advantage of the mainsheet allowing easy raising and
lowering. The mainsheet cam-cleat allows cleating off to clear fouling when
it happens. I have not made any pictures or videos of the process.
> Sam
>
> Kantor wrote:
>
>> James
>> Can you please explain how you use the boom as a gin pole?  Where does it
pivot?  I saw an idea on the web somewhere where the boom/mast joint was
made solid by PVC T fitting over that joint.   In that case the pivot was at
the mast step.  Placing the gin pole pivot offset from the mast pivot
significantly reduces the effort required to move the mast.  Do you lift up
towards the bow or stern?