[Rhodes22-list] Maybe selling my Rhodes22? Maybe not!

Rob Granger rgranger at sbc.edu
Wed Jan 23 18:30:35 EST 2013

Hey List

I'm trying to make a decision and I'm waffling.
I got a great deal on a Rhodes 22 last winter ... it was a great deal
because of the price.  I picked up this Rhodes 22 in Annapolis for $250.
The deal was I had to  move it withing 10 days and I happened to have some
time off and a trailer I could use so...   It came with a one season old
(only used 3 times) main sail... so I figured I was already ahead
regardless of the condition of the boat.  And I had at one time Chartered
Stan's boat and I REALLY fell in love with the Rhodes sailboat.  So of
course I wanted my own.  I even thought I might just part her out if she
was in too bad a shape but ...The sail is very crispy.  And the boat is not
in throw away condition just yet.  A little sweat equity and a few hundred
dollars in plywood and fiberglass and she will be ready to sail again.
Anyway, I don't want to get into the details of the boat per say because
this is not an ad so much as me asking for some soundings.

So here is my story...
I also owned (at that time) a MacGregor 22 that I had fully restored and my
thoughts were I would enjoy cruising with my kids in the Mac while I fixed
up the Rhodes.   That was the plan but we had several great cruises in the
Mac last season and decided we really want to do a lot more cruising... and
I have a large family ...the Mac 22 was too small for us.  And although the
Rhodes is larger than the Mac as I thought about it, the Rhodes will
probably still be too small for all of us as well.

Fast forward a year and I sold my Mac and picked up a Balboa 26.   Man! the
Balboa is a lot more boat inside and nearly ready to cruise  so my
motivation to complete the restoration on the Rhodes is waning (fast).  I
want to spend more time sailing while my kids are still at home.

The Rhodes is definitely a project boat but I've already done much of the
really nasty work.
I have removed the bottom paint on the Rhodes, to the original gel coat...
I've repaired the dings, gouges and nicks in the hull, faired her and
prepared it for a barrier coat (and the epoxy  barrier coat is sitting in
my shed waiting for a warm day so that will be completed soon).  I've
removed the rotten galley and salon area, the wood in the V-birth and head
compartment are in okay shape and just need a laminate put over the wood to
make it look great again.  There are two soft spots on the deck and the
keel trunk will need some fiberglass work and  the ports need replacing and
the rear hatch cover needs some attention and it will need a new rub rail.

I've acquired a duel axle trailer that I've started the modifications to
fit the Rhodes,  I need a warm Saturday to finish that job,  I need to
attach the new bunks.  And it has new LED lights and fresh zinc paint.

So the pluses are a new main sail, solid rigging, roller furled head sail
and a duel axle trailer....  the rest is a real project boat.

I'm not highly motivated to sell her but... if someone really wants her,
and will finish fixing her up, I can't really justify keeping her so I'd
let her go for the value of the trailer and main sail.  I'm thinking
$900-ish for the trailer and main sail and I'll throw the boat, rigging and
head sail in for "free".   :-)  I'f I haven't put on the barrier coat yet,
I'll throw in the gallon of epoxy paint ($85 value) as well.... but I
intend to paint her as soon as I get a warm and dry Saturday.

If you know someone who wants a decent cruising boat but does not have a
lot of cash... or someone who (like me) likes fixing up old boats... please
pass along this posting.  I might have a boat they could have and it would
truly be a great value.  Or if you think I should finish fixing her up and
give her to one of my kids....  any advice is welcome????    I'm kind of
torn here.

Fair winds and I hope you are living someplace warm,

The other Rob