[Rhodes22-list] Solar Power Ventilators continued--Now BungeeCords

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Wed Jan 30 13:29:54 EST 2013

Leland:

Try a butterfly knot (artillery loop) to create a loop in a line. Run the
line around what you wish to secure, bring it back to the butterfly knot and
use a slipped sheet bend in the loop. The butterfly knot is directional.
Using it with a sheet bend to close a loop is a variation on a truckers knot
that can be pulled as tight as you wish. It is as strong as the knotted
line, can be quickly and easily tied, can be done in any size line even
string, will not come undone, and can be easily untied with a tug on the
sheet bend even after being weathered and/or under serious tension.

I use it for woodwork clamping, tie downs in the truck, securing tarps
and tie downs for almost anything. If you use two butterfly knots, it
will even serve as rope hoist or for tension like a single line dead eye.
I have used it extensively on each of my boats for permanent and
temporary needs. Knots are one of my favorite things to explore.
Creative use of them can simplify a host of tasks on the boat for
better sailing and safety.

Jay
Port Angeles, WA