[Rhodes22-list] Redesigned Traveler

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jul 1 22:18:14 EDT 2013

Graham,
On newer R22s, the standard traveler arrangement is a bar fixed into
sockets swaged into the backstays. It is supported by the backstays
alone. While I was doubtful of this arrangement when we bought
Fretless, I talked to a number of R22 owners. None reported any
problem with the arrangement and I have not heard of any in the 15
years since. We've had a few sudden surprise jibes. The backstays
absorb some of the force and make it less of an event than it would
be in another boat.

There's a decent photo on the Rhodes owners site here:
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/SEATS1.jpg

and another from the stern looking at the traveller car:
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Traveler_car.jpg

My guess is that this would be available for older R22s but you would
have to replace your backstays with ones with the sockets that accept the bar.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, Md