[Rhodes22-list] auto pilot

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sun Jul 14 19:17:08 EDT 2013

I agree with Rummy that I don't think I would use an autopilot while working
on deck. Better to let the sails luff for that. I had an autopilot that I
used for long sails where helming became tiring. The longest was from
Kingston Ontario to Niagara on the Lake - the full length of Lake Ontario.
The trip was 30 hours continuous and the autopilot was virtually a
necessity. It lasted the whole trip on one battery and took us through some
pretty rough weather keeping us exactly on course  and much more accurately
than manual helming could accomplish.  For very short term use I think it
might be more trouble than it is worth.

Graham Stewart
gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
613 389-1737