[Rhodes22-list] Broken connection from mailsail to outhaul

Mrbabs Marc at babineauins.com
Mon Jul 29 12:14:40 EDT 2013

Hello Marlan

Thanks for that info.  I just spoke with Stan and he's never seen the
connecting link break but agrees that it is probably due to metal fatigue as
a result of the constant back and forth of the sail while motoring or, in
our case, while moored.

He is re-designing the outhaul car so that it is more robust and asked that
I order the new version from him via email. Perhaps you can as well.

In the interim, he suggested I either lash the sail clew grommet to the boom
or disconnect the sail and lash it to the mast while moored. This we have
done and it does prevent the constant back and forth motion.

I think simple stainless steel plates on either side of the boom car would
also prevent the plastic from cracking but would not address the failure of
the linkage. I like the idea of using a shackle pinned through the car
connected to the sail shackle with a locking D ring.  With this arrangement,
even if the T section of the car broke off, the sail would still be attached
to the outhaul line.

I'm not sure it would be worth machining an all aluminum car with plastic
glides for a piece that rarely fails?

Marc

s/v Baby Steps