[Rhodes22-list] Shroud and Stay adjustments

Shawn Boles shawn.sustain at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 19:18:21 EDT 2013

Hi:

According to the manual (p 5 Tuning the Mast), you first get back stays and
jib stay adjusted,using the tension line on back stays. They need to be
very tight  What is ',very tight'? - it appears to vary with the boat but
one way to tell if they are too loose is if the jib stay sags to leeward
while sailing. It should be in line with the mast.

 Then do the upper shrouds aiming for vertical mast with roughly equal
number of threads showing on port/starboard turnbuckles. Then do the 4
lower shrouds, again looking for roughly equal tension - I keep upper and
lower shrouds hand tight. The only real tension is on the jib and back
stays. I keep uppers a little tighter than lowers -  finally seize the
upper and lower shrouds so they don't loosen while bouncing around at the
mooring or while sailing.

When you sail the shrouds on lee side are loose, and weather shrouds are
tight.

Hope this helps.

Shawn
S/V Sweet Baboo (Recycled 86)
PS Is there a copy of manual online? if so, where?