[Rhodes22-list] bilge/sole repair

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sun May 19 15:17:10 EDT 2013

Michael:

On my boat (1974) the floor boards are made of 3/4 ply and sit directly on
the stringers and cross pieces. The boards are screwed down to stay in place
but have openings cut out in strategic places where you might want to get
down in the bilge to service the pump, sponge up water or retrieve things
that slip down between the cracks. The plywood cut out was then used to make
the hole cover by bolting pieces of wood around the hole to make a flange
that the cover piece just sits in.
The stringers and cross pieces are all attached to the hull with epoxy and
fibreglass cloth. There is also a strip the runs along the join between the
hull and kick plate on the galley side and the settee and hull on the other
side. This serves as a place to screw the floorboards down on the outer
edges. Newer designs might be different.

None of this is original in my case except for the forward section in front
of the mast but it appears to me that it was built to copy the original
construction. When I redo mine I think I will see if I can get away with
floor boards that are thinner than 3/4" as these are very heave and
difficult to manoeuvre in a tight space.

Graham Stewart