[Rhodes22-list] Going aground helped my centerboard

redneckyc steverayj at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 2 18:59:58 EDT 2013

So today I decided to go in close to a beach and scrub the bottom. I set
anchor from stern and drifted back to shore testing depth with my boat pole.
Put it in reverse just to check that I was ok but oops - motor won't move
the boat and I'm stuck in the mud. So I deploy the portable ladder (I don't
like the stern ladder) and get in the water and try to push the boat off
from the bow. No luck. Then I just easily pull the bow and it comes free. So
I hurry back up the ladder and motor away fine. Now my centerboard pennant
pulls up much higher and it moves a lot easier. I must have not been raising
my centerboard all the way due to marine growth and so it got stuck in the
mud. It's a good thing I did not keep pushing from the bow or tried to get a
tow from the stern. I will be doing some checking on the board when I haul
out next month and also dive on it next time to see how it looks raised and
lowered.

-----
Fair winds and following seas .....  Steve