[Rhodes22-list] centerboard attachment

Ric Stott ric at steelbone.com
Thu Mar 6 18:46:30 EST 2014

AH HA!
A Picture's worth 1000 words.
The pivot pin lives at the bottom of the vertical channels.
On Graham's boat, someone, Stan or a retrofit job, installed pvc stops
to prevent the CB from rising and hitting the cap if (when) aground.
Although it is less likely, the stops could damage the cap as well.
A straight on grounding would not cause damage because the CB simply
swings back. But if the CB was in the down position and the boat came
down on the ground, as it could in big waves, or if the tide went out.
the CB will sooner or late ride up the channels and hit the cap - CRACK!
Unless the CB  needs to have some play to function smoothly, which
doesn't seem necessary based on Grahams pvc stops, its a good idea to
install something to prevent it from rising. What doe Stan use these
days?
I'm thinking hard rubber, glued in, but might interfere with a smooth
operation if it was challenged and came loose.

On another related note, I've seen emails pertaining to caulk on the
gasket.  As a cyclist, I glue rubber racing tires on rims with special
glue.
I think tis basically rubber cement.
These tires are called 'tubulars'. They are kind of a tire and tube in
one, and glued onto the rim as opposed 'clincher' type tires.
It comes off to change the tire, but not easy, and the glue can be
cleaned off.  Seems like the prefect solution for this application.
Has anyone tried that?

Ric
Dadventure
Hampton Bays