[Rhodes22-list] Lighting Rod

Ron Lipton ronald.lipton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 23:33:01 EDT 2014

I got interested in this because I know that lightning will punch through fiberglass hulls. The dielectric strength (breakdown voltage) of dry air is about 3000 V/mm. The dielectric strength that I could find for fiberglass is about 20000 V/mm.  So fiberglass (at least the stuff used in PC boards) is only about a factor six or seven better than air.  Humidity actually appears to increase the breakdown voltage a bit. As a rough estimate I would guess that a 10 meter mast "shorts out" the equivalent of 1 meter of fiberglass, much thicker than the hull (the number seems too large to me-I will check some more). So if given the choice the lightning will proceed through the mast and fiberglass rather than the air. That explains why lightning will often punch a hole in the fiberglass on the bottom of a boat, sinking it, rather than find a path outside.

I am pretty sure fields generated by the motor have no effect.

Ron