[Rhodes22-list] STANding out from the crowd

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sun Mar 16 17:31:08 EDT 2014

Joe,
I have no idea what you are smoking, but I want some of it.

Rummy

In a message dated 3/16/2014 1:06:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jjcampjr at yahoo.com writes:

NB  (or "note well" in literary vernacular)

Everyone (or nearly everyone) in the R-22 grandSTANd wished the mighty
mister Spitzer a warm and happy birthday on or close to the actual date.  As
more Rhodies did this, the result was a classic "dog-pile on the  rabbit"
scenario. I underSTANd the tug of social and cultural responsibility,  but I
really make it a point to try to set myself aside in nearly every  endeavor.
(For example, I resolved to part my hair on the right side...  the girl
side... at the age of twelve).  Despite the fact that I love  STAN as much as the
next (or former) Rhodie, the relative value of tossing my  declaration atop
the pile meant that it would be lost in the congratulatory  soup of
similarly expressed wishes.  Thus, would I relegate myself to  just another "happy
birthday" in STAN's overall perception of the worship of  his anxiety-ridden
minions.

So, here it is,  well past the birthday (day) and I have chosen this
outSTANding opportunity to  set myself apart (again) and say "many more, STAN."
It's like making  one's self fashionably late to a posh posh party so as to
STANd out in the  perception of the early arrivals (now well imbibed on the
host's booze, to  STANd out in the perception of the host, himself. Then, in
truly  egotistically managed  precision, to announce that lateness, calling
more  attention onto the lateness and forcing the host to forgive that
transgression  in the long established tradition of turning the other  cheek.

Now, I am the center of attention, and  everyone notices what I am wearing.
 Now, I am the talk of the party...  and the next party (for which I also
will be late).
I amble to the bar,  dangle a crisp twenty over the tip glass and smile at
the frazzled  bartender:

"I'll have a VO and water please, splash of lime. I'm Joe,  see you in
about twenty minutes.  Where's the birthday boy?"

Joe  Camp
s/v John Dawson
on the hard in Horsham, PA
and dreaming of  mid-april