[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22-list Digest, Vol 3420, Issue 2

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Mar 18 09:30:10 EDT 2014

Richard:

Hauling the boat up on the wooden guides should not do damage other than
superficial scrapes. You are not the first or last to do that. Leaving the
cb down a fraction helps centre the boat when the trailer is in deeper
water.

My guess is that the water is not from the centreboard damaging the cap. I
would remove the floor boards, back the trailer into the water until the
boat floats and then, before unhooking the boat from the trailer, climb in
and see if there is any water getting in. If there is a leak, you just haul
the boat back out. I think it is quite possible that pressure washing could
force water in. I had water get in through the hull deck join when heeling
over. Driving rain can also get in. I have also had water - a lot of water -
get in from snow in the cockpit the one winter I didn't cover the boat. I
will not do that again. So, I would not assume that the cb cap is the
problem unless there is visible damage.

I think you might want to go easy with the power washing. Use low pressure
if you do, but soap and a scrub brush would be better for the boat.

My understanding is that Stan does not use sealant on the centreboard cap -
just a gasket which he sells. I have made my own gaskets and used silicone
sealant - which works fine but that was before I learned better from others
on this list.

The difference between the diamond board and the older one , so far as I
understand , is a modification in the shape but the boards both function the
same way. I don't know when the change took place.

Graham