[Rhodes22-list] Water tank removal and balance

chrissailorman chrissailorman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:12:17 EDT 2014

I was reading a post regarding balance and it's effect on weather or lee
helm...and the poster was advised to add ballast, about 200 lbs or so behind
the v-berth near the water tank.... There are times when I have some trouble
in heavier conditions and although there are many suggestions I have read
concerning balancing sails, etc...sitting forward rather than deep in the
stern, where I often sit...it occurred to me that I may have another
variable to consider... Before last season' sailing, I decided to clean up
my cabin. I rebuilt the counter, removed the sink, and the water tank...not
considering the effect of water tank balance...
So my question is, do I need to substitute the weight of that missing water
or is this something I can ignore.. Again I often sail singlehanded. I have
an 86, IMF with a rather large Genoa, not sure exactly what size. I am 250
lbs...yummy!   I also don't hesitate to sit on the rail when necessary.....
Have a relatively small outboard. 6 hp, Mercury 4 stroke...
As usual, any help would be welcome!   BTW...close to 60 degrees Saturday!
It's coming! I might actually uncover Blue Hawaii this weekend and begin!