[Rhodes22-list] Heaving To

thebooker bridges.brooks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:22:52 EST 2017

Congratulations on getting a great boat!

I agree with Chrissailorman and Rick.

I have used following technique even on 470, a very fast, tipsy racing boat
15 ft long. Even in strong winds you could relax and have a sandwich between
races. My cousin used technique in 50 plus knots of wind on his 40 footer
and everyone went below and took a nap. (I'm sure sails were reefed at the
time)  It's amazing when you experience for the first time and no land near.

The basic idea is to end up with jib sheeted to windward ("wrong" side) and
main to leeward (broad reach setting) and rudder also to leeward. The wind
forces on the two sails now tend to fight each other and cancel wind forces
so boat moves very slowly (in direction of a broad reach) with little heel.
The direction means the waves should going with you but at an angle. You
adjust tiller to get things stable then lock it. Boat should react to
stronger wind by trying to head up a bit, causing jib to have more force and
push bow back down until main develops stronger force and pushes bow back
into wind - a stable balancing act.

1) Jib must be backwinded. Accomplish this as others described by starting
with boat on a close reach on say, starboard tack (so jib and main are both
on port side (leeward).

2) Tack, but do NOT release jib. As you get to new tack, main will come
across so again to leeward, now the stbd side. Let it out as for a broad
reach.  Now jib is still on port side, main on stbd side set for broad
reach. Tiller should now be a bit to stbd.  Adjust tiller angle so boat
quiets down and moves slowly as the two sails "fight" each other. You should
be able to find a tiller position in which you can lock tiller. Boat should
be fairly upright and you should be going forward slowly. Relax and enjoy.

I would think if you have genoa unfurled, you should furl it up a bit before
starting the above. Especially the 170%

Brooks
"Changes"
Cambridge MD Choptank River