[Rhodes22-list] Leaking CB pin - Old CB style

Mark Olson Mark-Olson at verizon.net
Sat Sep 9 06:34:16 EDT 2017

Last year I purchased a 1983 which had a slow leak.  After getting it on the hard I watched where the water leaked out.  I also read postings about the issue.  I figured out it was the port side of the CB pin.  The boat has IMF and fairly new sails so I wanted to fix the problem.

I removed the seats and flooring above the CB cover then removed the CB cover and pulled the CB out.  You can see in the picture the old CB pin which was actually a tube had started to drill a hole in the side of the CB pin slot.

Then I cleaned everything up and removed the ballast and one lead weight from each side so I could access the whole slot.

Next I sanded/roughed up the old fiberglass and put 3 layers of 3 ply fiberglass over the outside of each CB slot (I did the repair to both sides to be safe).  This makes 9 layers and is close to or thicker than the original material.  Then I gelcoated the inside of the CB pin slot.

My neighbor made a replacement CB pin out of stainless which would accommodate a sleeve bearing I ordered from McMASTER-CARR.  You’ll have to trim it slightly – I used a band saw but I think a hacksaw would work fine.
6362K19   Water-Resistant Dry-Running Sleeve Bearing Rulon LR for 3/4” Shaft Diameter, 7/8” OD – 2ea  https://www.mcmaster.com/#6362K19

While I had the CB out I painted it with antifouling paint.  I then installed the new pin in the CB with 3M – 5200

I put the bearings on and lowered it into position.  (Remember to install the pieces of hose which keep the CB in place; I bought new ones.)

Next I reinstalled the CB cover with bolts, washers etc. that Stan sold me.  I was able to reuse the gasket I had by cleaning it.  Stan told me it would last a lifetime and I should spend my money on other parts which I did.

The last thing I did was put a little sand mix (cement) over the exposed sand/concrete where I removed the ballast.  I did this because I wanted to see if I had solved all issues when the boat was in the water.

I have the lead weights sitting/pushed into the area which is now open on the outside of each CB slot.  I will put it in permanently next winter.

Not related to the CB leak the CB cap had a couple cracks.  I think they were caused by the original hoses which keep the CB in place being too short – about 1 inch.  I sanded the cracks down and put a layer of the 3 ply fiberglass on

Also not related I put  a drain on each side of the CB trunk - on the lower outside near the CB slot.  I did this because I had everything apart and it was just $20 at West Marine.  I put them in with screws and 3M-5200.

On my trips to Edenton last winter Stan asked me to post what id did – after I was done.

I’m done and finally in the water (Delay due to a host of other/unrelated reasons.)  The repair works.  I have the CB on direct pull from a hole in the end of the CB I drilled as the original block system had decayed.  It lifts easily on the new bearings and the leak is gone.

Mark Olson
s/v Satchmo – 1983