[Rhodes22-list] lowering mast

ROGER PIHLAJA Roger_Pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Oct 18 15:07:40 EDT 2019

Hi Gramille,

On my mast raising kit, the side stay extensions are 1” X 1/8” X 12” pieces of aluminum bar stock with appropriate holes for the retaining pins on each end.  Both ends of the bar stock are rounded off to prevent sharp corners from damaging the cabin roof.  However, I see no reason why they couldn’t be short lines if you are confident in your knot tying or eye splicing skills.

On the old OEM Cruising Designs roller furling system, it is not possible to remove the genoa without either sending someone up the mast in a bosun’s chair or lowering the mast.  On newer systems, the genoa slides on a luff track and can be raised and lowered without lowering the mast.  If you have the newer type system; then, definitely take the genoa off before lowering the mast.  For one thing, it makes the mast assembly lighter and easier to handle.  Removing it precludes the expensive sail from being damaged if something should go wrong during the mast lowering or raising.

Roger Pihlaja

S/V Dynamic Equilibrium