[Rhodes22-list] First sail on my Rhodes22

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Tue Sep 24 13:21:40 EDT 2019

George,

With regard to cleaning the carb: I was experiencing a similar problem
(stalling at low rpm) this year after not having had it happen the previous
two years (when I bought the boat used). After 2.5 seasons, when the gas in
the tank ran low, I went to fill it at a local marina. I mentioned the
stalling problem to a technician; the first question he asked was "How old
is the gas?" When I told him at least 3 years old he chuckled and explained
that here in NJ we have about 15% ethanol in our gas (from gas stations and
marinas). He said that the octane of the ethanol gas drops rapidly over time
and that this would explain the inability of the engine to keep running at
low speeds. I tested the engine earlier today with the new tank of gas. The
problem seems cured.

With regard to your first solo sail: I predict that you will have a
successful sailing career based on this start. I've been sailing various
boats for many years and am sure that I would fumble at times sailing my
Rhodes solo in the conditions that you describe. You've learned well. Have
fun and, as others have said, continue to learn.

Backing a sailboat is a good skill to have. I did not learn the skill until
my 30th year of sailing (my previous sailboats never had engines). Under
some very windy conditions in tight quarters, it is the only safe way to
drive a sailboat.

Chris

-----
Long Beach Island