[Rhodes22-list] Preparing for Isaias

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Wed Aug 5 14:50:57 EDT 2020

Based on yesterday's experience when Isaias blew through, I would add one
more item to the checklist: make sure the anchor is firmly lashed to the bow
rail.

We had some good-sized waves when the windspeed got up into the 50s. All the
rocking and rolling caused the anchor to jump out of its latched cradle. It
then swung around for a few hours in the large waves before it was safe
enough to board the boat. The swinging anchor dangling from the bow pulled a
bolt out of the bow. This bolt holds a u-shaped pinned fitting that helps
secure the anchor to the boat and is one of three bolts that hold the
chainplate for the forward stay. It is going to be very tough to reach the
spot where the bolt comes through the bow to put a washer and nut on the
inside.

As a side note, on my boat at least two of the three of these chainplate
bolts fully penetrate the hull. Neither has a nut on the inside. They rely
on the fiberglass to hold them in place ... which is probably fine since the
forces are shear. But the anchor swinging wildly in all directions in the
waves pulled the bolt through the hole.

And as another aside, I discovered a few years ago that none of the bolts
that hold the forward-ends of the aft railings had nuts on the inside. This
is the point on each side where the aft rail returns to the rub rail. All
six bolts (three on each side) penetrate the hull but are only threaded into
the fiberglass. I added washers and nuts to each of them after a few pulled
out. In this case, some of the typical forces are not shear ... like when
the skipper leans against a windward rail.

-----
Long Beach Island