[Rhodes22-list] New Discussion on Hull Numbers

Joe Dempsey joedempsey at hughes.net
Sat Jun 20 13:10:16 EDT 2020

This is to Chris Cowie in Reply to his post in a 2009 discussion with several
List members on the subject.

Chris,
I've been researching past discussions on hull numbers and came across your
post from 2009.  Like your number, my hull number, GBX22102A989 has the "A"
out of sequence, would indicate my Rhodes is the 102nd built and was
completed January 9, 1989, 20 years before yours! Otherwise mine could have
been the 1029th hull built and completed in January 1989, but under that
supposition, yours would have been the 1019th hull built and completed in
January 2009.  So I think there's still some work to be done interpreting
the coding.

I recall that the R22 wasn't born until 1966. I think i read (alot of
recollection here!) that HNs weren't required until 1972 or so, some 12-13
years after GBI began production or 6 years after R22 began production.
According to Stan's "A Bit of History" GBX=General Boat; 22=LOA; #### is
sequential production* number of the hull; Letter=Month; and ##=Year Built.
Like your HN, mine only has three #s instead of 4 for sequence, followed by
"A" and then three ### where there should only be 2. Could the sequential
number refer to the total number for that year? Which would make yours the
101st hull of 2009 and mine the 102nd hull of 1989?  Somewhere, the HN
coding may have added the "day of the month" ie the three digits following
the month code. Given that Stan said that they built about 50 per year up to
that time but "no where near that in NC" and "there about 2000 R22s out
there" (in 1999 that would have been an average of 60 per year since 1966).
So we still don't know the total number of R22s built.  I queried Stan, but
he's quite harried with deliveries right now and is not concerned with
historical info like we, as owners, are.  Understandable. So I thought I
would reignite the Hull Number conversation!

-----
Joe Dempsey
s/v Respite
Rhodes 22 1989/2005