[Rhodes22-list] Sailing into the wind

Lee lvjkuhn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 11:18:54 EST 2020

Ckelly,

All of Ric's points are good, including those about the C&C35.

It helps to run your Genoa sheets across your cabintop, between the mast and
inside shrouds.  You want the wind to be hitting your Genoa and mainsail at
the same angle (balanced) and you want both sails flat not full.  The closer
you can pull your sails to the centerline the better, and you can't get the
Genoa very close if it's outside the outer shroud.  In a 10+ wind you will
be heeling.  I found if I heeled more than 20 degrees it usually slowed me
down.

You'll want your centerboard down although you can sail surprisingly close
to the wind with it up.  With the board down it definitely helps to keep you
from drifting downwind, which you probably don't want if you're trying to
sail upwind.

If you search the archives under "Leland chop" you'll find a post entitled
Test (Excel Spreadsheet) from 9-14-2007.  I reached those statistics through
luck not skill, especially the speed into chop.

As for lee/weather helm the "experts" say you want your tiller about 3
degrees into the wind to prevent your boat from falling off the wind.  On a
light boat like the Rhodes you'll need a steady wind, your sails balanced,
and no shift in human ballast (ride that baby like a surfboard).

Boat_without_Captain.jpg

Ric:  Here are some pictures of my friend's C&C35.  Even when I felt like I
was sailing at maximal speed he would blow by me.

C&C.jpg

C&C_Reuben.jpg

Lee
Waiting on a Recycled from Stan