[Rhodes22-list] Traveler technical aspects

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:21:49 EDT 2020

Hey Brian,
              My first Rhodes was a brand new '76.  The setup was like that
of the Compact 23.  I've never seen a setup like the one you show.  Having
had the triangle setup ('76), an older version on a bar mounted a foot or
between the stays (my '83 that sails in Greece) and the newer
continuous line traveler on a bar also mounted between the back stays ('87
re-done in 2015) I can say that I totally prefer the newer version that
Stan is now using.  I can point several degrees higher by working the
traveler to windward; ,and in light airs I can maintain proper sail shape
and efficiency by making the appropriate adjustments on the traveler.  By
having the traveler suspended between the two backstays there is not the
sudden abrupt transfer of force from a jibing main to the deck and transom
fittings.  Instead there is a distribution of the shock because of the
nature of the twin backstays.  Hopes this helps.
Chris Geankoplis
Enosis