[Rhodes22-list] Motor lift

Jesse Shumaker jesse.laten.shumaker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 12:22:35 EST 2021

Hi Rueben,

I had similar concerns.  The motor lift winch that came on my boat was only
operated by a single remote and it was starting to exhibit inconsistency
(occasionally slow to start/stop).

Others had posted about adding a hard wired switch and/or replacing the
remote, but I found it easiest to replace the entire winch with one that
had a wired switch and two remotes.  I keep one remote stowed in the port
side cockpit coaming compartment, attached via velcro to a spot just above
the opening and attached with a retractable cable so it can't fall
overboard.  The other remote is stowed in a ziploc bag in the sliding doors
on top of the galley.  The hard wired switch is now mounted to an HDPE
block in the opening between the lazarette and the underside of the port
side cockpit bench (where the fuel line comes through) just above the board
I used to mount my spare anchor in the front side of the lazarette.  I
normally use the wired switch.  This fall I made some changes to the wired
switch mounting and how the wires are organized/protected in the lazarette
but you can see the rest of my motor lift project from fall 2019 documented
at:
http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/Replacement-of-winch-for-motor-lift-td56157.html#none

Others on this group have various versions of the manual lift from GB which
seems to get good reviews, or have improvised their own.  I like my current
setup, but next fall I plan to add a backup manual hoist which could be
easily put in place in case the electric lift was not working.   Regarding
your other question, pulling on the knob on the motor does allow it to spin
freely and that appears to be a normal feature of most of these types of
winches.

Good luck!

Jesse Shumaker
S/V Zephyr