[Rhodes22-list] Unbolted track

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Mon Jul 26 12:02:18 EDT 2021

When I rebuilt my 1976 R22 I discovered that the genoa tracks were attached
with bolts screwed directly into the fiberglass without nuts or washers on
the underside. I thought at the time that this was the work of some early
substandard contractors who were used to build early boats. In spite of the
fact that the tracks had stayed in place for 40 years without problems I
re-drilled all of the holes and attached the tracks with bolts, washers and
locknuts.

I subsequently learned that this method of fastening was exactly what Stan
intended and so my refit was another unnecessary "repair" that I made. That
said, the fact that the bolts screwed directly into the fiberglass resulted
in spider web cracks in the gel coat around each hole (mostly hiffen under
the track) and since I was refinishing the deck at the time I grinding out
and re-glassing all cracks anyway and wanted to ensure that the cracks
didn't return.

It probably would have been sufficient to simply countersink the holes to
eliminate future cracks - which I did anyway - but whether necessary or not
I just feel more comfortable with the nuts and washers installed.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario