[Rhodes22-list] Swing keel stuck.

Ric Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Sat Jul 2 16:00:42 EDT 2022

Here are a few more pics.
Hope they are helpful.
It sounds to me like you have to remove the cap and fix the problem.
It will take you a half to a full day to do this work.
The bunk Comes out (in one piece)
Then a long notched floor board - gives you access to the cap.
50 some screws, not bolts on your model year - probably.
The first time I replaced the cap I used the same SS sheet metal screws. The second time, I changed to SS bolts and nuts.
You should be able to re-use the neoprene gasket.
 Those plastic tubes are there  for two reasons:
1. to keep the top of the CB from hitting the cap and cracking it - don’t ask how I know!
2. To keep the board from moving side to side and making a lot of noise - which it will do anyway, especially if it is in the half up (or down) position.
As a last resort you might cut the pedant line.  If the CB swings down you can reach the bottom  block on the back of the blade.
You can attach a line directly from it - around the SS turning pin cast into the cap and up the tube to the cam cleat in the cockpit.
It will be heavy-but  I think it will work.
If it doesn’t - you’re no worse off than before and you can go take the cap off.
Ric
Dadventure
PS - If your careful, you can load the boat on the trailer with the board in the fill down position - Ive done it.
Do not ever, ever, ever launch with the CB pendant anywhere but tight in the up position.

There is one close u[ pic of the pivot pin slot, with the tubes it and barnacles on it.

Richard F. Stott, AIA, LEED AP
ric at stottarchitecture.com
O O-631-283-1777
C- 516-965-3164