[Rhodes22-list] Scupper question.

Todd Tavares tavares0947 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 06:22:52 EDT 2023

Peter,
Yes. You should see the ground through that cockpit floor drain. It is
almost a straight shot-- about 8" or so. The cockpit floor is above the
waterline so you won't have any water backing up into the cockpit under
normal sailing conditions. If you have a cockpit full of people, you may
have some water coming in, and some owners keep a plug handy to avoid wet
feet.

The hull end of this drain will be underwater. This is a critical
through-hull fitting. A leak at that fitting or the hose will fill the boat
with water. The lazarette on most boats is connected to the cabin bilge
area, so water getting into the laz will flow under the cockpit and
flotation foam into the cabin, unless a previous owner built a hard
bulkhead.
A Rhodes 22 won't sink completely though. If this drain or the through-hull
looks suspect at all, I'd suggest replacing it and/or the hose so you'll
have peace of mind.

Todd T.