[Rhodes22-list] Non-Skid guidance

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Tue Apr 18 16:16:07 EDT 2023

Bob,

There's a large variety of non-skid tapes out there and some are advertised
as water proof. Tape tends to be a shorter-term solution than paint, but
easier to apply. There's also many options for marine non-slip mats, some
of which have the appearance of teak. Treadmaster was one that was very
popular for a while. The mats will have a longer lifespan than tape.

The most durable solution will be paint with some kind of grit added to it.
There are also paints with the grit already in it. I tried a coating called
Durabak many years back that had ground-up rubber bits in it. It was rather
tricky to work with. Painting will also require the greatest amount of
preparation. Practical Sailor has a free article outlining the process:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/refinishing-your-boats-non-skid-deck If
you're a subscriber you can also find articles testing various non-skid
paint options.

For the section of the gunnel where you step down from the dock, you could
put a few small strips of teak to provide some traction.

There's a type of plastic grating called DriDek that you can lay over your
cockpit sole. Doesn't require much prep, but you'd have to screw the edges
to the cockpit sole. DriDeck comes in 1' x 1' squares that interlock. Some
feel it can be hard on bare feet.

Like a lot of boat projects, the longest-lasting solutions will require the
greatest amount of effort! But painting is the way I would go if time
allowed.

Hope that helps,
Mark

2000 R22 *Luna Mia*