[Rhodes22-list] Water in the Cabin

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 14:24:52 EST 2023

Those are good points. Be sure to check the two 1-1/4" hoses in the lazzarette from the corner drains to the thru Hull openings in the transom. You mentioned the CB gasket, which I believe is your primary culprit, given the amount of water. You said the nuts you could reach seemed dry. Without removing the companionway step, which includes the settee, its nearly impossible to check. Take a coat hanger wire or dowel and fasten a folded up paper towel and probe further back. It will soak up any water on top of the gasket.  There's a good chance the gasket could be dry rotted unless you know it's history.I find it hard to believe, unless you've had a monsoon that you got that much water from topside.Joe DempseyTrojan 42 MYM/V VoyagerFormer Rhodes22Former Rhodes22Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S23 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Todd Tavares <tavares0947 at gmail.com> Date: 12/15/23  11:13 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Water in the Cabin Reuben,I  may just be echoing what others have said.The lazarette is not sealed off from the cabin bilge by a bulkhead on anyboat I have heard about. I think Stan commented once about this last yearor so when I asked a question about it. What you may see when you lookforward in the laz, under the cockpit, is the back of the poured inexpanded flotation foam. It may or may not have been glassed or tabbed downto the hull, but water will migrate down through the foam into the cabin.The older and dryer the foam gets it seems, the faster water will get tothe bilge.Some boats have some sort of pipe cut in half lengthwise and laid againstthe hull under the foam, like hollow stringers, forming two tunnels sowater runs directly from the laz to the bilge.But clogged seat drains, and rain water flowing over the lip into the lazis the most likely cause of such a large quantity of water in a short time,unless you find a leak at the CB cap or at the cockpit aft drain thru-hullfitting.Some owners have also noted the (garden) hose that connects the centerboardcap to the cockpit gutter, through which the CB pennant runs is not alwaysconnected at the top/gutter fitting. This would be a very slow leak.These are the first places I would look.And if the seat drains are still the small ½" ID ones, I'd suggestenlarging those fittings to 1" ID.I also made screens from white plastic house gutter guards that fit intothe drain pockets. The enlarged drains along with the screens haveeliminated water in the bilge even when stored uncovered under an oak tree.Todd TOn Thu, Dec 14, 2023, 3:18 PM Reuben Mezrich <reuben.mezrich at gmail.com>wrote:> This morning a friend called and said my boat was sinking...When I got to> the boat there was about a foot of water in the cabin (it was up to the> bottom of the cushions) and the boat was hanging from its lines (it was a> very low tide)...I borrowed a pump and got most of the water out...checked> the two through hulls for the head and the one in the lazerette and no leak> seen. inspected the top of the centerboard trunk and no evidence of a leak> at any of the visible screws on top (hard to see the two at the> furthest aft). There still appears to be a slow leak. There was also water> in the lazerette but the lazerette seems to be separate from the rest of> the boat and no idea how the water got there...There hasn't been much rain> lately..boat was dry on Monday, which was the last time I checked it...> We're having some storms here in Sarasota and the TowBoatUS guy says we> really can't tow it till Tuesday>> Any thoughts on where else to look for leaks. I haven't put any holes in> the boat..haven't gone aground> Its a puzzle>> --> Reuben Mezrich> cell: 410-499-8922> Pelican Cove in Sarasota and Back Bay, Boston>