[Rhodes22-list] Imf questions

BARRY RUEHLEN ruehbl at msn.com
Sun Dec 31 08:03:56 EST 2023

After a full shake out of our mast system, we have found that we are in pretty fair shape. Everything appears to be there. The mast and rigging had been stored sense we bought the boat a year and a half ago. We had gone through it originally but our efforts turned to the boat problems and hurricane damage.
 We had a bent spreader bolt, and a tortured top tang which are easy fixes. The furling donut issue is being addressed with help from the group. Thank you all. I have reached out to Charles about a replacement for the "pop top" attachment car for the mast. If anyone knows of another means to find or make one, let us know. Additionally, we found that we have in-mast wiring issues. Of the two low voltage wires that plug into the top deck, only one actually goes all the way to the top. The prior owner jumped the one hot wire to service both the masthead and deck light. I'm assuming the deck light is the steaming light. If that's the case they can't be on at the same time in my belief?? There is not a deck light currently in place so I don't know what it's supposed to look like. The two questions would be, what is that light just down from the masthead supposed to be and has anyone drilled out the two pop-rivets that hold the mast top plate on? I would like to remove that top plate to have access to pull all new wire including a radio coax. Using the existing wire as a messenger won't really help much.
Best
Barry Ruehlen
sv Perserverance '87
Pine Island Fl