[Rhodes22-list] What is wrong with my mainsail?

Ric Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Wed Jul 19 06:39:49 EDT 2023

If you do’t have a downhaul, I’m sure that’s your problem. I’m traveling now, and wold send a pic, but a line attaches to the bottom of the Boom gooseneck fitting and runs to a cleat on the port side of the mast near the bottom.  It needs no purchase.
When my pop top is up, the down haul pulls the boom down right to the Pop top connector.
Make sure you pull the halyard up all the way.
If you are sailing more seriously, leave the pop top down and adjust your luff tension more carefully.  You can even lower the whole sail on the mast to lower the center of effort when it’s windy by leaving the halyard a foot or so lower and adjusting the downhill accordingly
Fair winds
Ric
Dadventure
HBNY