[Rhodes22-list] Main sail outhaul

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Mon Jul 24 17:13:28 EDT 2023

Thomas,

To the best of my recollection, the most common complaint about the GB design outhaul system is that some part of it has broken.  My personal experience, and apparently the experience of most folks on the list is that if it's not broken, the GB system works pretty well.

Since the system seems to work well for most owners, I a first step should be to try to figure out why it's not working for you.

My vague impression is that you bought your R22 from General Boats.  Is that right?

If it is, then it would seem most likely that you have regulation, standard issue, R22 main sail, boom, and outhaul car.  This just deepens the mystery. I could speculate on reasons the car might get stuck in the boom track (mostly imagining damage to either the boom or the car), but I'm baffled as to why your main sail can't be fully deployed.

More information would be helpful.  If you disconnect your outhaul car from the main sail and the outhaul line, will it slide freely in its track along the top of the boom?  When the main sail is pulled out as far as you can, what is the distance between the clew of the sail and the end of the boom?  Pictures would probably help too.

As to your actual questions regarding the picture, the shackle and block should be easy to source. But it looks like the clew of the sail is attached to a car riding in a track along the top of the boom.  Even if you could find a source for that car, the odds that it would fit in the track on your boom are not high.  And even if it did fit, what's the likelihood that it would also tend to get stuck?

Sorry that I couldn't do much more than ask a bunch of questions.

--Peter