[Rhodes22-list] Rudder Downhaul

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Wed Jun 7 17:13:53 EDT 2023

Peter,

Instead of hijacking a thread, you could create a new one by changing the subject line.

On my boat, there are two holes in the forward edge of the rudder blade (see pic #1).  Lines with stopper knots are fed through these holes in opposite directions.  These lines then go into a channel at the forward edge of the upper part of the rudder, and come out below the tiller (see pic #2).  Then the lines go into a vice-like device that's tightened with a star-knob.

What I've described as two lines is really one line that loops over the tiller, and then back down.

There are lots of variations as to clamping/cleating hardware, but that's the basic routing.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)