[Rhodes22-list] Whisker Pole length

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Thu May 4 13:09:37 EDT 2023

Hi Matt,

There is no single “ideal length” whisker pole.  The correct length depends on the wind speed and point of sail.  I use a Forespar 6’-12’ Aluminum Telescoping Whisker Pole with latching type SL fttings on both ends.  The outer tube OD is 1-1/4”.  Don’t use a smaller diameter pole than 1-1/4” OD or your genoa will fold it half!  This whisker pole is available from West Marine, C/N: 112110 , M/N: 406100, Price: $192.99 + S&H.  This kit will come with a fixed ring for the mast.  This fixed ring is OK; but, I like to be able to adjust the inboard height of the pole.  So, I have an 18” long piece of Schaefer 1” racing T-Track on the mast and a ring on a car that slides on this track.  I also use the T-Track for my triradial spinnaker.  I prefer the racing vs. the standard T-Track because the holes are closer together on the racing T-Track, thus permitting finer height adjustment.  In light air, it’s also helpful to have a topping lift to support the outboard end of the pole.  This way, the weight of the pole does not prevent the foresail from inflating.  It makes a real difference between being able to sail and motoring in light air.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium