[Rhodes22-list] Lee helm

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Wed May 31 10:56:35 EDT 2023

Shawn,

I'm happy to hear of your experience. We are back on the water this
season and have been out twice using the adjusted rudder angle where we
force a vertical leading edge by cleating the up-haul line. Our
experience is the same as yours ... no more lee helm.

Both of the outings were dominated by long reaches so I could not
re-check pointing ability. The next test will be to substantiate the
results from late last season where we seemed to be sailing about 5
degrees higher with the vertical rudder.

For those who did not follow the discussion last season, I questioned
why the leading edge of my rudder swept forward (about 18 degrees) when
I secured the down-haul. Apparently, on most Rhodes, this is not the
case; instead there is a hard stop keeping the leading edge vertical
when the down-haul is pulled tight. I've attached a photo of my rudder
in the position it takes if not restricted by the up-haul. The
hypothesis is that this forward angle causes lee helm and limiting
pointing ability on Rhodes equipped with this vintage rudder/tiller
assembly.

Chris