[Rhodes22-list] Delaminating tiller handle

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Tue Nov 7 10:15:43 EST 2023

I just repaired a delaminated tiller I got from Stan. I used epoxy and
syringes made for use with epoxy. The epoxy I use is from a company in FL
called RAKA and is pretty low viscosity - thinner than West as I recall.

I laid down some wax paper (epoxy doesn't stick to it) and put the tiller
on its side - after digging out as much of the gaps as possible. After
mixing the epoxy I used the syringe to direct the epoxy into the gap. I
clamped the tiller to close the gap. I think I probably used unthickened
epoxy first to coat the surfaces and then added some silica to thicken it
and put some of that in the gap as well.

There were a number of gaps in this tiller and I also drilled out and
filled several holes, so it took a few days to get it all done, but it
looks pretty good now. I may drive some screws in from the bottom of the
tiller to further reinforce where the cracks were.

Mark

Boston, MA
2000 R22 *When and If*