[Rhodes22-list] Delaminating tiller handle

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Tue Nov 7 11:03:08 EST 2023

Hi Peter,

At one point in my career at the Dow Chemical Co, I was chief engineer at a plant where we made C fiber insulation for the, then new, C-17 cargo plane.  As I recall, a 10%wt solution of epoxy in acetone was thin enough to spray with a conventional paint sprayer.  The thinned epoxy/acetone solution would flow by capillary action along the fibers and tended to gather at the fiber/fiber intersections.  Here, the acetone would evaporate.  When the epoxy kicked off, it bound the fibers together.  I would use the West System 209 extra slow hardener and 105 resin.  Mix up the resin/acetone & hardener/acetone separately and then mix them together.  At 75 degrees F, this will give you ~45 minutes of pot life and ~24 hours to fully cure.  This will be plenty of time for the acetone to evaporate and diffuse away.  Until the epoxy kicks off, the mixture will be thin enough to inject with a hypodermic syringe.  But, you could also just brush it over the crack and let it be drawn in by capillary action.  The thinned epoxy will also soak into the wood along the crack.  So, there will be very little squeeze out.  This will greatly strengthen the repair.  Once you have the crack filled, clamp the piece to force the crack faces together and clean up any squeeze out with a cloth damp with acetone.  You will end up with a solid epoxy/wood composite that will last so long, you’ll be able to pass it down to your grandchildren.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

Sent from my iPhone