[Rhodes22-list] Lake Winnebago, WI Cruise In The Summer of 2024

jwiberg at wi.rr.com jwiberg at wi.rr.com
Fri Oct 6 23:33:53 EDT 2023

Hi Roger,

Sounds like a fun trip with the kiddos.

I have been sailing my ’82 Rhodes 22 in Milwaukee Bay since 1990,
but I grew up in Menasha on the north end of Lake Winnebago, boating
on Lake Winnebago and the Fox River. I spent my high school and
college years from the mid sixties through the mid seventies sailing
and racing scows at both Neenah and Oshkosh. Tugs and coal barges were
still using the lock and canal system in the fifties. When I was using
the lock system in the seventies, it was still run by the Army Corps
of Engineers. I haven’t used them since they were abandoned and
reopened by a local group

Lake Winnebago does not lend itself very well to spending a night on
the hook. Nothing on the east shore at all. Anything other than a west
wind will leaves no protected anchorages on the west shore. Asylum Bay
or maybe tucking in behind Island Park (known locally as Garlic
Island) are possibilities, but they’re both just north of Oshkosh,
so probably too far from Menasha.

The charted special anchorages, one in Oshkosh and two in Neenah, are
actually mooring buoy fields managed by the two local yacht clubs,
Oshkosh YC and Neenah-Nodaway YC. I don’t believe either club has
transient moorings. The anchorage you're considering near the hospital
is adjacent to a dam and spillway. When the dam gates are open, the
current is quite strong. Much too dangerous to attempt anchoring.

There is a small marina along the Government Canal in Menasha. It’s
not far from the Menasha lock, they have transient slips, and there
are several restaurants within walking distance.

There is a reef across the entrance to the Fox River at Menasha. The
best approach is from the south. My dad and I used to anchor our
fishing boat at the north end of the reef to catch walleyes and it was
always great fun to watch boats come flying in from the east and tear
up their bottoms and lower units.

One final thing. Beware the infamous Lake Winnebago cross chop. The
lake is so shallow that winds in the 12 to15 knot range can whip up
some pretty good waves that ricochet off the shores and come at you
from all directions. In the 70’s, Oshkosh hosted an ILYA E Scow
championship. One of the race days had 15 knot winds. The out of town
PRO (small lake guy) said “We always race in 15 knots”. The local
crews said “We’ll sit this one out”. It’s kind of awesome
seeing what happens to a 30 foot mast when an E boat turtles in 20
feet of water.

Let me know If you have any more questions.

John Wiberg