[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Sat Oct 28 15:32:23 EDT 2023

Mitch,

Yes, you can just screw the chocks into the toe rail, but don't use 5200.  5200 is a 'forever' adhesive.  There a very few places that I would say it's use is appropriate, and this is certainly _not_ one.  The screws will do the work of holding the chocks in place.

Since you'd just be screwing into fiberglass, I'd argue that even a sealant isn't really necessary. But if you decide to use one, get one from a marine supply store, not a home store.

I'd be a little generous in sizing the pilot hole for the screws.  You don't want to risk having the screws acting like wedges, and potentially splitting the toe-rail.

The message about using a tap was referring to the option of drilling holes, then tapping threads, and using bolts rather than screws.  On my boat, this approach was used for jib sheet tracks and winches.  If you don't have experience tapping threads, I'd stick to wood screws.  Hopefully, it goes without saying that the screws should be stainless steel.

--Peter