[Rhodes22-list] Removing IMF mainsail

peter beckerman recorderguy2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 21:37:06 EDT 2023

Hi All,  Today I removed my IMF mainsail.  Everything I've read suggests that I should have disassembled the furling mechanism from the bottom of the furler tube, but I was unable get it all apart.  The problem I had was removing the plastic plug that sits at the bottom of the furler tube and acts as a bearing surface for the furler.  The arrow on the attached photo points to the part I'm talking about.  I'm guessing that the part is just pressure fitted, but I couldn't get it out and was worried about breaking it.  In the end I simply removed the donut at the top of the furler and took the sail off that way.     I have two questions:  How does that plug in the bottom of the tube come off?  Is there any source for replacement plugs (general boats?) and what's the part called?
Thanks as always,                 Peter