[Rhodes22-list] Motor Mount questions(s)

Tom Hyatt thyatt at mica.edu
Tue Sep 12 18:22:01 EDT 2023

The R22 I bought in July came with a dysfunctional motor mount. The gas
cylinder requires my full body weight (standing on it!) to lower it down to
the working height. So I am planning to replace the motor mount with
something spring-loaded.

Two questions:

As you can see in the picture, the previous owner had a supplemental mount
device mounted on the transom which the motor mount was then attached to.
What could be the purpose of this and do I need it ? It seems to throw the
attached mount at a more raked angle than bolting a mount directly to the
transom. Should I discard this and just secure my new mount to the transom?
I have a 6 HP 25" Tohatsu Sailpro that I am mounting.

Does anyone have experience with a gas cylinder mount? Can you reduce
pressure within it to somehow make it easier to depress and lift it? I am
about to toss it but didn;t want to do that until I was sure it was
unusable.

Thanks as always for your help.

Tom
S/V Eliza Jane